Marvin S. Berenstein is Of Counsel for the Firm. Marvin joined the Firm as an associate in 1962, becoming a partner in 1963.
In 1989, Marvin was appointed by Governor Branstad to the Iowa State Board of Regents for a six-year term and was elected President of the Board in May of 1993. He also served on the Governor’s Blue Ribbon Commission to study financing of the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in 1986.
In 1996, Marvin was honored to receive the Award of Merit by The Iowa State Bar Association.
Marvin was appointed by Governor Vilsak in 2000 to the Vision Iowa Board which oversees and manages distribution of funds to Iowa communities for cultural, recreational, and educational activities with the intent of keeping and attracting citizens to Iowa’s quality of life.
Marvin’s personal commitment to community service, as well as the State of Iowa and The Iowa State Bar Association, is demonstrated by his currently serving as Director of the University of Iowa Law School Foundation. He formerly served as Director of the Siouxland Foundation, Director of the Siouxland Initiative, Director of the Marian Health Center Foundation, Director of the Sioux City Library Foundation, Director of the Iowa State Bar Foundation, and numerous Sioux City charitable organizations. He is also a member of the Iowa Society of Hospital Attorneys.
Marvin is a frequent speaker at various legal seminars on taxation, corporations, trusts and estates, and family business problem management.
- Vice Chairman – Vision Iowa Board, 2000-2005
- President – Iowa State Board of Regents, 1993-1995
- Member – Iowa State Board of Regents, 1989-1995
- Governor’s Blue Ribbon Commission to Study Financing of University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, 1986
- President – The Iowa State Bar Association, 1980-1981
- Board Member – The Iowa State Bar Association, Board of Governors, 1976-1978
- President – The Iowa State Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section, 1969-1970
- President – Iowa State Bar Foundation, 1992-1993
- Director – Iowa State Bar Foundation, 1981-1993
- President – Sioux City Lawyers Club, 1966
- Recipient "Award of Merit," The Iowa State Bar Association, 1996
- Fellow, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, 1979-present
- Named to "Best Lawyers in America," Corporate Law, Taxation, Trusts & Estates, 1987-present
- Named to "Chambers USA," Corporate Mergers & Acquisitions, 2005-present
State of Iowa Activities
- Iowa Research Council Board of Directors, 1994-2002
- President of the Iowa State Board of Regents; Board Chairman of the University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics; Co-Chairman of the State of Iowa Technology Transfer Council
- University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics – Advisory Board, 1999-present